Thursday 2 February 2012

Scrapology February Layout Challenge - P is for Patchwork

This month on Scrapology we are scraplifting a layout designed and created by SJ for the Cardinal Colours Retreat last autumn and this month our technique is to use your papers to create a "Patchwork" background.

Some of my readers may remember this layout that I created last year using BasicGrey's Offbeat collection. I really liked the colour combo and the papers were perfect for a series of photos I took of my daughter playing in the snow, so I decided to use the scraps of paper I had left from my original layout to create this challenge layout.


Just as scraps of fabric are perfect for patchwork quilts, etc. , scraps of paper are perfect for patchwork layouts. I used a square punch to punch my 'patches' but could have easily just measured then and cut them with a paper trimmer. After sticking the patches to my background card (which I had punched a fancy border round) I machine stitched over the joins. I used snowflake embelishments from K&Co and felt snowflakes from Papermania. I added some unbranded silver alphabet stickers for the title, tiny alphabet stickers from Adornit and metal corner embelishments.

To add a bit of sparkle I sprayed the whole layout (except the photograph) with 'Spray and Sparkle' glitter varnish from Crafter's Companion. It really does Sparkle & Shine in real life.


This was SJ's original layout ....


... and this is Lynn's sketch.


Pop over to Scrapology to see all the design team Layouts and maybe have a go at the challenge yourself. There is a great prize on offer and as they say, "You've got to be in it to Win it".

7 comments:

Linda said...

Beautiful layout Karen, perfect photo too x

Lynn Biermann said...

this is awesome! I really love it!

Anita said...

This is completely and utterly beautiful Karen! Love the choice of papers, especially as it compliments the other layout so well. I can imagine how sparkly and magical it is in real life too.....just gorgeous! xxxx

fatmonica said...

It's gorgeous!

Alison said...

So pretty and delicate - a perfect match with that photo! I love the stitching detail and also that you've oversprayed the layout - that perfect final touch!

Emilie said...

Gorgeous LO! I love your take on SJ's LO and those wintery colours are so beautifull!

Claire said...

Gorgeous layout.
C
xx